birding-aus

Re: fruit-dove collisions

To: scouler <>
Subject: Re: fruit-dove collisions
From: James Davis <>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 09:20:10 +1000 (EST)
1) People build houses with large windows near forest habitat where the
birds live.
2) The reflection off a window, not unlike a mirror, gives the birds the
impression that the woods extends beyond the window. Imagine yourself fly
at fast speeds through the forest; how would you select an opening to fly
through?

Have you ever noticed the time of day that most crashes occur?

There are several, not very satisfactory, solutions to such problems short
of moving the building. The one I prefer to to place a screen in the
window - this will disrupt the mirror effect and/or cushion the impact if
a bird does fly into the window.  It may also keep out insects, etc.

 Dr. Wm. James Davis
e-mail