birding-aus

trip report

Subject: trip report
From: lorne <>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:10:05 +0000
I went to "The forest of tranquility"/Askania Park at Ourimbah, on the
NSW Central Coast last Friday. A beautiful spot. Lush rainforest.
Coolth. Miraculous, icy-clean air. My binoculars have problems at the
moment, so they weren't with me. The following were seen without them!

The best birds...

1. Scaly Thrush
2. Wonga Pigeon (one calling incessantly, three on ground)
3. Yellow-throated Scrubwren (many - spotted by my fiance, who's not a
birdo!)
4. Lyrebird
5. Satin Bowerbirds

I was hoping for Superb Fruit-doves, Wompoo Pigeons (perhaps), Regent
Bowerbirds, catbirds, a roosting owl (Sooty Owls and Barking Owls have
been seen in area) etc. Swamp wallabies were easily approachable in one
open area before rainforest. Apparently platypus can be seen in the main
creek now and again. Has anyone been to this park and seen interesting
bird species? Also, after November the 14th, the park has a "Firefly
festival", where one brings a torch. Entrance fee into the park is $6.
It's well worth visiting for the density and beauty of foliage and CLEAN
(unSydney-like) air!

Cheers and happy birding,

LORNE.

PS - Also saw a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles circling over the twin
bridges above Mooney Mooney River, on way to Kariong.