birding-aus

Re: Atlassing Nocturnal Birds

To: Michael Todd <>
Subject: Re: Atlassing Nocturnal Birds
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:45:47 +1000
Hi everyone,
I agree with the below from Michael and would like to mention my experience
with Marbled Frogmouth in Iron Range and on Cape York:
It was believed to be a rare species, because the Frogmouth are not calling
in winter, but at certain places I only have to use the call on tape once
or twice and have up to 5 pairs! answering. Without the tape you just
wouldn't have guessed it.
Best regards, Klaus

>While I appreciate the fact that people do have concerns about the
>welfare of nocturnal birds and the effects that tape playback and
>spotlights may have on them, I am of the opinion that any impact is
>transient in nature. I think that the long-term benefits in getting a
>fuller picture of the distribution (and hopefully habitat preferences)
>of these species (using playback) outweighs any short-term effects that
>individual birds might experience.
Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 133   SILKWOOD  QLD   Australia
http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama