birding-aus

Re: GPS

Subject: Re: GPS
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:08:14 +1000
At 06:54 PM 4/9/98 +1000, Graham Harrington wrote:
>I heartily endorse David Stewart's call for Atlasers to use GPS.  I am sure
>they could be made even cheaper if Birds Australia organised a bulk
>purchase. Negotiations with alternative suppliers should start now!

Hi Everyone,

Birds Australia WILL be encouraging Atlassers to use GPS units. I
understand that the Birds Australia shop will be offering discounts on the
purchase of GPS units to Atlassers. The Birds Australia Shop has had
extensive talks with suppliers over the last few months regarding best
offers, but I don't have the details.

One supplier will be giving a demonstration on the use of GPS units at the
Atlas Workshop next weekend. I also understand that some regional bird
groups have planned similar demonstrations to take place at their regular
meetings.

Atlas project staff will also be expected to demonstrate the use of GPS
units to atlassers throughout the course of the project.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research Manager

Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
Australian Bird Research Centre
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.

Tel:    +61 3 9882 2622
Fax:    +61 3 9882 2677
Email:
1997 Australian Bird Research Directory is on Birds Australia's
home page: <http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus>.