birding-aus

Re: RFI-whiteface/grey grasswren

To: Laurie Living <>
Subject: Re: RFI-whiteface/grey grasswren
From: (andy burton)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:33:17 +1000
>Can anyone suggest some places to see grey grasswren and banded
>whiteface.
>
>Thomas and Thomas suggest Pyampa station near Tibooburra for the
>grasswren and Camerons Corner to Merty Merty. Are these still good spots
>to search?
>
>Will I have a chance of the flock bronzewing in these areas?
>
>Thanks  Laurie Living

Hi Laurie,

        I was successful with the Banded Whiteface almost exactly 50km west
of Camerons Corner and although I did not see them, apparently Eyrean
Grasswrens were present at the same spot. Travel 50 km west of Camerons
until you come off the dunes to a broad, flat open area with,
paradoxically, a double decker bus parked off the road to the left. At this
stage retrace your steps to, I believe the second dune back. In the
spinifex and scrub on the southern side of the road and on the dune were
Banded Whiteface. These instructions are about two years old and I can only
presume that the bus is still there.

I believe Catherine, who operated the Corner Store at Camerons Corner, is
no longer there but if she is she often has good bird and plant
information.

Andy Burton
Andy Burton's Bush Tours
703/4 Francis Road