birding-aus

Re: Virus?

Subject: Re: Virus?
From: (David Torr)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:25:17 +1100
     There are no generic email viruses - there are too many email systems,
     operating systems, processor types etc.

     It is quite possible to use email to distribute a specific virus - eg
     a "free" program that if you run it may infect a type of computer -
     but if it were a Win95 virus the program would not run on Macs. And
     you would only be infected if you ran the program - which in general
     is a specific action you have to take.

     More dangerous may be the Word (and other application) viruses -
     becasue many people are more suspicious of programs but accept a Word
     document. But again - you are at risk only if you open the document.

     The solution is relatively simple - a good virus scanner will catch
     most viruses - I run VShield and that picked up the recent virus in
     this group. None are 100% effective, so if in doubt - don't open
     attachments = but you can read your mail.