birding-aus

Re: Magpie lark agility/intelligence

To: Tony Russell <>
Subject: Re: Magpie lark agility/intelligence
From: Atriplex <>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:17:29 -0800
Tony Russell wrote:

> Hi Anne, my Magpie Larks are as thick as bricks. They typically fly into the
> glass of windows when the curtains are open. I guess dirty windows would be
> the go? Tony.
An interesting point, Tony. I know M.L.s have a reputation for
aggressive behaviour towards their own reflection, but what I find
remarkable is the ability to negotiate through small spaces at speed eg.
when I close the door rapidly, to keep "our" young joey outside, I've
got no chance of excluding the M.L.- he flies over my head, escaping
decapitation by the skin of his crown feathers. This doesn't seem to be
a learned skill. As far as I can tell it just comes naturally to him.
Some reputedly intelligent birds (eg a Raven and several Galahs) that
I've released by leaving their aviary door wide open have taken several
days to find their way out. They seem to get "side-tracked" by flying up
to a perch over the door, on the inside, and there they stay.
 Anne
--
Anne & Roger A. Green, Atriplex Services, Morgan, Sth.Australia
Environmental Consultants & Native Plant Nursery.