birding-aus

Re: Non migrating migrants

Subject: Re: Non migrating migrants
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:56:20 +1000 (EST)
>When is the RAOU going to publish the ABC results?

The ABC is being analysed and written up on a number of different fronts:

1.  A report will be published as part of the Birds Australia report series
by July 1998.
2.  Two scientific papers have already been submitted for publication in the
international journal, Conservation Ecology. The authors of these papers are
Peter Griffioen, Mike Clarke and myself. This journal is an on-line refereed
scientific journal rather than produced in hard copy. We chose this journal
to publish our papers because it was a lot easier to display seasonal
movements of birds as coloured animated maps of distribution and abundance,
rather than still pictures displayed in different shades of grey.
3. A third scientifc paper will be submitted for publication in Emu by the
end of May. This will discuss migratory patterns of some of Australia's
better known migrants. The authors of this paper are myself and Ross Cunningham.
4. The major publication from the ABC Project will be a CD-ROM. We are
discussing the timetable for this project with CSIRO Publishing. Much of the
material for this project has been prepared and it it is just a matter of
putting it all together. I can't give a definitive answer as to when this
will be available for distribution, but I would say that it will be early
next year.

I realise that many of you are wondering about these issues. But I think you
should
also appreciate that there is a lot of information to analyse and write up.
It took 3 years to write up and publish the atlas data, and the ABC data-set
is a much more complex set of results to analyse.

Best wishes,
Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research Manager

Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
Australian Bird Research Centre
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.