birding-aus

Re: Bouncing eggs and Barren Grounds

To: Richard Jordan <>
Subject: Re: Bouncing eggs and Barren Grounds
From: (Harvey Perkins)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:52:57 +1000
>The egg experiment was conducted on 28 March. A total of nine eggs were
>thrown, and five bounced and landed intact. One was successfully videoed on
>landing (the chief researcher's aim was far from good). This showed the egg
>oscillating about its short axis by about 30 degrees either side of the
>centre line - blunt end down. This would make sense in view of centre of
>gravity considerations. The egg struck the grassy surface near the apex of
>the blunt end - a little off-centre - and bounced to a height of around
>800mm; giving one small extra bounce before coming to rest. I might try
>again when I have more ammunition and the experiment can be better
>controlled. I am extremely impressed by the shock-absorbing properties of
>chicken eggs.

Richard,

What temperature were the eggs at when thrown? You might need to compare
eggs straight from the fridge with eggs warmed to ambient temperature.
Also, you might consider placing a sample of eggs in an "inverted"
orientaion for an hour or so before tossing to see if the centre of gravity
changes and affects the flight dynamics and consequent landing/shock
characteristics!!!

Harvey

Dr Harvey D. Perkins
Divn Biochemistry & Molecular Biology