birding-aus

Pit birds - Norfolk iskand - historical

Subject: Pit birds - Norfolk iskand - historical
From: "Stephen Martin" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:43:20 EST+10
Dear all

In an earlier note I mentioned a reference to the concern for the Pit
bird in 1790s. I suggested to the many who contacted me that it was
by King. I was wrong, the expressions of wonder at the numbers of
the Pit birds 'like showers of hail' and the attempts to preserve
their habitat - as they were an essential source of food - by halting
the cutting down of trees on Mt Pit, appear in the Letters and
journal of Ralph Clark, which was reprinted in 1981.

Cheers

Steve

                        Stephen Martin
                 State Library of New South Wales