birding-aus

Re: parrots in backyards

To: (John Leonard)
Subject: Re: parrots in backyards
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:59:41 -0600
At 08:53 AM 3/25/98 +1100, John Leonard wrote:
>However I was asking whether there is anywhere else in the world (Africa,
>S.America?) where it's possible to get 5-10 species of native parrots in
>one's suburban backyard....

I can't imagine any other continent can come close to Australia.  When you
see many species of parrots in South America, especially any big, fancy
ones, you know you are way off in the wilderness.  No "suburban" yard in
Ecuador I've ever been in could have had more than three species.  (By the
way, "suburbios" is a term for shantytowns or slums.)  In Africa, parrots
can be a little more tame, but there are not very many species.  When you
first come to Oz and see flocks grazing on the lawn... you can only shake
your head.

By the way, I violated "the letter" of Niven McCrie's request, by including
some of the message to which I'm responding, but I hope not the spirit...
it irritates me also when people copy the whole damned message, and put it
at the beginning!

Stephen Greenfield
Minneapolis