birding-aus

Re: Favourite birds, etc

Subject: Re: Favourite birds, etc
From: David James <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:48:15 +1000
My lifetime studies have revealed that in fact there are only two kinds of
birds: ducks and chickens. Ducks have webbed feet and chickens do not.

Of the various named colour morphs, phases and what have you of AUSTRALIAN
DUCKS AND CHICKENS my favourites are these:

Pick-axe Goose
Blue Bald Coote
Jameson's Sea-pigeon
CWA Bird
Mother Carey's Goose
Bunyip
Hanging Dick
Diamond Dyke
Golden Swallow
Mould Goose
Wongbird
Gizzle
Brainfever Bird
Post Child (ne Post Boy)
Yellow Dicky
Bubbly Jock
Tom Pudding
Cranky Fanny
Spud Parrot
Knob-fronted Bee-eater
Cherry Hawk
Lemon-rumped Bark-tit

Remember, you don't need a field guide, just look at the feet.
David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre 4810