birding-aus

Re: Problem with Pizzey - and a best list

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Problem with Pizzey - and a best list
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:48:36 +1100
Jo Wieneke wrote:
> A word of warning. Don't let your new Pizzey and Knight get wet! I know of
> two copies that have been ruined by getting slightly damp. The pages stick
> together as if glued. Has anyone else come across this problem?

I've had this problem with my copy of Slater, and also with several copies
of Wingspan before they switched to the plastic wrappers.  Sometimes I've
been able to separate the pages while they are still wet, other times it is
best to wait until the pages are completely dry (place something heavy on
it to keep it flat);  usually pieces of the glossy surface peels away and
remain stuck to the facing page.

I keep my water damaged Slater and third edition Simpson and Day for use
in the field, and keep the others safely at home for reference.

Paul Taylor