birding-aus

Re: B-B-B-Birds

To: "Russell Woodford" <>, <>
Subject: Re: B-B-B-Birds
From: "Vicki Parslow-Stafford" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:11:28 +1000
Hi Russell

Yes, I know what you mean.  Even with birds that are relatively common
local residents or seasonal migrants, it's hard to beat the thrill of
seeing your FIRST ONE, isn't it?  Not to mention gradually realising how
incredibly lucky you are/were to live in an area where there is such a
diversity of bird species (and SE Qld is one of the best).  My most recent
common-but-not-seen-before sightings were zebra finches, regent bowerbird
and wedge-tailed shearwater.  And still lots to go!

(The regent bowerbird was a hoot.  With my husband and a good friend, I
spent Easter a couple of years ago in a holiday cabin at Mt Glorious, right
behind Maiala NP.  We knew the regents were common in the area, and I was
moaning that I still hadn't ticked one.  After 2 days, finally spotted one
W-A-A-Y up in the top of a huge fig tree on the hill above the cabin.  And
you know how bastard birds think, don't you?  It's all a game of Hide and
Seek to them.  "OK, fair enough, you got me, I'll come out now".  Two
minutes later, the wretched thing was sitting in a wild tobacco bush about
ten feet from the porch of the cabin).

Cheers

Vicki PS