birding-aus

best birds and poms

Subject: best birds and poms
From: Robert Davis <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:01:07
Hi All!

Firstly i have a request for any Poms or would be Poms. I am going back to
the country of my birth - England for a holiday in a few weeks. I currently
have no field guide, but intend to purchase one when I get over there. Can
anybody recommend a good (recent) field guide along the quality lines of
Pizzey and Knight (but not too expensive) and the best place in the UK to
get one?

Secondly, I will join the fray and be the second WA birder to add my best
birds to the growing list (well done Lorne this is proving to be a popular
thread!).

I have been lucky enough to see a few rarities over here. My top 10 are:

1)Major Mitchell's Cockatoo (seen in an area where it was *very* scarce)

2)Grey Falcon - the magic of seeing 4 at once (a family unit) over a dusty
Pilbara track

3)Malleefowl - one of the few remaining ones in the area. Calling and
displaying loudly in the middle of a sunlit clearing after a rainstorm.

4)White-tailed Black Cockatoo - Their haunting calls are a unique reminder
of Perth

5)Rainbow Bee-eater - who doesn't love them?
6)Splendid Fairy Wren - My first ever bird. Full blue in the afternoon light.
7)Thick-billed Grasswren - always elusive but a great character
8)Rufous-crowned Emu-wren - a gem in the Pilbara's red landscape
9)Ruff
10)Australian Bustard

Cheers,

Robert Davis