birding-aus

Re: Plumed Whistling-Duck in ACT

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Plumed Whistling-Duck in ACT
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:45:02 +1100
Subsequent to my previous message mentioning my frustration at finding
the Plumed Whistling-Duck earlier this year in Commonwealth Park and
this week at Kingston Foreshores in the ACT, I managed to track it
down this evening.  My thanks to Ian Fraser for his precise directions
to where he saw it last night.

I had a look at lunchtime after receiving his message, but again failed
to locate the PWD.  However, I did locate the White-bellied Sea-Eagle
that apparently roosts in the area (I don't recall who left the message
on the hotline, but their directions were spot on, too.)

I also dropped in at Jerrabomberra Wetlands (the Jerrabomberra Creek
end) and saw the Black-winged Stilt that recently arrived.  The Pelican
and Great Egret were in the same spot as they were last night?!  On the
way out, I heard some Crested Shrike-tits in the eucalypts just in from
the carpark, and moved in for a closer look.  After swearing at the
poor close focus ability of my binoculars, I heard a rustle behind
me and turned to see a 4-5 foot Eastern Brown Snake a few metres away!
I've been this close (or closer) to Red-bellied Black Snakes before,
but this was a very different experience - even without knowing their
reputation, you can tell that these are snakes not to be messed with.
After a minute or so checking each other out, it moved off at a brisk
pace.  A timely reminder that we aren't the only things interested in
birds.  :)

Paul Taylor