birding-aus

Re: Re[2]: Identity of Scaly/White's Thrush in Lamington Nationa

To: (David Torr)
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Identity of Scaly/White's Thrush in Lamington Nationa
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:59:31 +1000
At 15:03 11/03/98 +1000, you wrote:
>     I have recently started to use "Merlin" as a recording tool. At the
>     weekend saw my first "lunulata" since buying the Program - intrigued
>     to see that when I went to enter "Scaly or Whites" it showed this as
>     Z. dauma. It has Z. lunulata as "Olive-tailed/Bassian" and Z. heinei
>     (as expected) as "Russet-tailed"
>
>     Can someone enlighten me as to Z. dauma - where it is found etc????

David,

Z. dauma, Whites or Scaly Thrush, is a complex of many subspecies from Siberia
and eastern Europe, across Asia and India and down to Indonesia, New Guinea and
the Solomons.  "Our" thrushes were previously considered by some to be merely
further subspecies of this group.

Ford in his Emu paper (1983 83:141-151) gives a detailed picture of the complex
and how he thought the Australian species fitted in.

Peter
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)