birding-aus

Re: parabolic reflectors

To: "Birding Australia" <>, "Roger Coles" <>
Subject: Re: parabolic reflectors
From: "Bill Rankin" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:08:31 +1000
-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Coles <>
To:  <>
Date: Wednesday, March 04, 1998 10:48
Subject: parabolic reflectors

>Dear Bird Persons
>
>Does anyone use parabolic reflectors for recording bird sounds? If so, I am
>interested in the acoustical performance of these devices.
>
>In particular, I am trying to track down information on the 24" Grampian
>parabolic reflector. These reflectors were in use about 35 years ago I
>believe, and I am wondering anyone still has one perhaps, or if they know
>anything about its design/performance etc. Any information gratefully
>received.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Roger
>Dr. Roger B Coles
>Vision, Touch & Hearing Research Centre
>Dept. of Physiology & Pharmacology
>The University of Queensland
>Brisbane, Queensland
>AUSTRALIA  4072
>
>TEL: + 61 7 3365 2182
>FAX: + 61 7 3365 4522
>
>email:

Rojer
If you want to record birds a parabolic reflector is an excellent way to
amplify a distant call (I have been using one for many years).
The "performance'' of a reflector is difficult to quantify as there are so
many variables in the field ie: microphone, tape recorder, the frequency
range of the target species, the weather and the terrain to name but a few.
There is a good chapter on parabolic reflectors in the book "Wildlife Sounds
and their Recording" by Eric Simms ( a BBC wildlife recorder) in which he
discusses the relative merits of the various types of reflectors.You could
also check out the web site for "Telinga" reflectors at
http://www.bahnhof.se/~telinga/     If you want to record human voice (at a
distance) then a shotgun microphone may be a better way to go  because of
the lower frequencies involved.

Bill Rankin
Editor: "AudioWings"
Newsletter of the Australian Wildlife Sound Recording Group