birding-aus

Re: Spotted Pardalote

To: June Richards <>
Subject: Re: Spotted Pardalote
From: George Appleby <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:48:24 -0816 (UTC)
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:53:51 -0800 June Richards
<> wrote:

> To All
> Last Friday (20/2) I found a dead spotted pardalote on my up-stairs deck,
> unfortunatly the bird had  crashed into the window. I have lived in
> Camberwell, Victoria for 20 years and have never observed a pardalote
> before.Does anyone have any info.
>
> Alan Richards

I've lived on and off in Camberwell for a few years and
have seen a few pardelotes (Spotted and a smaller number
of Striated). Spotted Pardelotes appear to have been around
pretty regularly for some years. In autumn-winter they
could often be seen in bare oak trees but I'm not sure if
they preferred these trees to native species. I can't
recall having seen or heard Striated Pardelotes recently
but I haven't been out locally lately.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, I saw a few dead
pardelotes in the Camberwell-Kew area that appeared to have
died from unexplained causes as well as from apparently
flying into windows. I recall that a number of pardelotes
were found dead around Melbourne during this period and
that there was a possiblity of disease affecting these
birds. Does anyone remember if anybody discovered any
disease or virus?

George Appleby

George Appleby