birding-aus

Raven query.

Subject: Raven query.
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 98 11:05:37 -0500
G'day all

I have been pondering the distribution of Australian and Little Ravens in
Victoria and would welcome any input.  With the new Atlas coming up we all
need to be able to identify the Ravens/Crows we see.

It seems to me that I hardly ever see (or hear) ARs in southern Victoria.
My records since 1985 indicate that in the south west they are found only
in the Grampians and only on the mountain ridges and peaks - not
apparently in the lower areas.  My other records are for the north east
and Mallee areas.

Apart from Forest Ravens along the south west coast all the birds I see
around Hamilton and in Melbourne are LRs.  I don't know what the situation
is in Gippsland but the few ravens I identified on Phillip Island in
January were all LRs.  I have some records of LRs from the north east and
the Mallee but they are greatly outnumbered by my records of ARs in these
areas.

The distributions shown in the Vic Atlas indicate a greater proportion of
sightings of ARs in southern Victoria than my records suggest.

Any comments welcome...

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Clark
Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523