birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater not seen but....

Subject: Regent Honeyeater not seen but....
From: "Ray Nojek" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 19:26:57 WST
First of all, thanks to those who passed on the directions to the site
where the Regent Honeyeater was recently sighted in Melbourne.
I tried my luck today (Sun 15/2/98) and although the Regent HE was not
found (probably long gone) I had an excellent two hours of birding along
the Yarra in Heidelberg.
The weather was overcast with patchy drizzle and no wind. Between 0730
and 0930 I observed the following:

Australian Darter
White-faced Heron
Nankeen Night Heron
Pacific Black Duck
Chestnut Teal
Dusky Moorhen
Black-fronted Dotterel
Silver Gull
Common Bronzewing
Spotted Turtle-dove
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet
Eastern Rosella
Red-rumped Parrot
Laughing Kookaburra
Welcome Swallow
Tree Martin
Eastern Yellow Robin
Grey Fantail
Willy Wagtail
Superb Blue Wren
White-browed Scrubwren
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Brown Thornbill
Red Wattlebird
Noisy Miner
Bell Miner
White-plumed HE
Silvereye
Spotted Pardalote
Red-browed Firetail
Blackbird
Common Starling
Common Myna
Magpie-lark
Australian Magpie
Australian Raven

37 species in 2 delightful hours.
I suppose that one day I will have to make the long trip to Chiltern to
find a Regent HE but when you come from Perth, whats a few hundred extra
kms?!

Ray Nojek
Perth WA Australia