birding-aus

Re: Lord Howe Island

Subject: Re: Lord Howe Island
From: David Roots <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:48:34 +1100 (EST)
"Chris Lester"<>
At 08:49 8/01/98 +1000, you wrote:

>The various authors extolling the virtues of Lord Howe island have
>suggested it is a great place to visit....

I saw the reply to this email from Syd Curtis, mostly about LHI.
I agree with all he said, and add that I take tours to LHI each year,
with Ian Hutton as co-leader (he is the authority on LHI birds).
These (in June and November) deal with the geoloey, corals, animals,
plants, as well as the land and sea birds.

Access to Balls Pyramid is another matter!!
I was one of the first two to land there in 1964,
and all the following landings have been rock climbers also.
A trip around the Pyramid is a great thing, though,
if you take your pills first!

There is prolific bird life on the Pyramid, but most (not all) of the same
species nest on the Admirality Islands, just off-shore from LHI.
This is the preferred location to visit, as landing is possible
in times of  slight seas.

In 1964 I collected a Phasmid from Balls Pyramid, and I plan
an expedition to collect a living one (they were thought to be extinct
up to then), and to document the bird population.
Is there a birdwatching rock climber in the house?

I will be interested in your comments on your LHI trip,
and Norfolk, for that matter, and on the need for tours for
bird watchers by appropriate experts to other locations.
Dr David Roots.