birding-aus

you can't send a birdwatcher to do a twitcher's job

Subject: you can't send a birdwatcher to do a twitcher's job
From: <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 12:22:54 +0000
Thanks for the intro Lawrie.

While we're on the subject I took particular offence at a recent
posting about a Regent Honeyeater in suburban Melbourne, although
I can't remember who sent it.

A Regent Honeyeater is uncommon enough to be interesting wherever
one appears. In suburban Melbourne it's a welcome diversion, though not,
I expect, for those 'twitchers' who are popularly supposed to descend
in 'hoards' whenever something interesting is reported.

In fact - and here's the point of this tirade - I doubt twitchers do anything
in
'hoards', unless some giant marsupial previously thought to be
extinct  has suddenly reappeared and has started to stuff them into
hollow trees like acorns.

The next time a HORDE of birders descends like a plague of Biblical
locusts on a rare bird (such as a Spotted Redshank, Stilt Sandpiper,
Lesser Yellowlegs or any other Melbourne rarity), perhaps the
birdwatchers could stand in one group and their social inferiors, the
twitchers, could stand in another to enjoy (and correctly identify)
the rarity in question.

Aaah, that's better, now for some lunch.

Good birding,
David Andrew