birding-aus

Re: rare birds in cages in pet shop in Sydney

Subject: Re: rare birds in cages in pet shop in Sydney
From: moris <>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 22:07:42 +1100
lorne wrote:

> Thanks for the BW PARROT info. Melbourne people and others. I am touched
> and pleased!
>
> The other day, in a pet shop in Hornsby, in Sydney's north, I was
> surprised to see some 10 Gouldian Finches, 2 Hooded Parrots and 2
> Princess Parrots. The owner said breeders who all had licences supplied
> them. In Peter Slater's new book he predicts that the Gouldian Finch
> will be the next bird extinct in OZ.
>
> Should I be alarmed with the appearance of these finches and parrots in
> the pet shop? Do the NPWS actually police how much trapping/capturing is
> going on in terms of wild populations of these birds? Is smuggling
> rampant in Australia? Perhaps the birds I saw were all bred from cage
> birds anyway, and I don't need to worry. I am concerned nevertheless.
>
> Anyway, Happy New Year and all that festive stuff.
>
> LORNE.

Hooded Parrots, Princess Parrots and Gouldian Finches are common avairy
birds and breed well in captivity and I suppose have been bred in
captivity for over 100 years. This is a common phenomena for most inland
birds viz Zebra Finches, Galahs, Quarrians, most Neophemas etc and for
the three species mentioned in Lorne's Email, there are probably more in
captivity in NSW than there is in the wild in Australia. They would be
covered by legal permits.The ones you have to worry about are Glossy
Black Cockatoos, Red-browed Finches, Eastern Rosellas, Musk Lorikeets
and Beautiful Firetails etc which don't breed well in captivity, are
rarely covered by permits and are most likely wild caught birds when
seen in pet shops etc.

Alan Morris