birding-aus

New Years Day Count

Subject: New Years Day Count
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 22:00:11 +1000 (EST)
Dear Birding-aus Readers

Just in case I don't catch up with you before then, I hope you all have
a happy and blessed Christmas and a wonderful year in 1998.

If you are out and about on the morning of Jan 1st, please remember to do
the garden bird count - thanks, Hugo, for the contact details - and of
course send in your results to birding-aus as well. A few of us have done
this over the last couple of years as a sort of polite one-upmanship to
kick off the New year.  Everyone invariably gets more interesting birds
than I do but it is fun.

I also agree with Julian B that 7-8 am is a bit late.  Last year I listed
about 30 waterbirds etc on Corio Bay as my wife & I did our traditional
sunrise watch for the New Year.  Between 7 & 8 all we had in the yard were
a few blackbirds and wattlebirds :-(  But I guess that's what methodology
is all about ....

Looking forward to hearing from you all on or after Jan 1st.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Maintainer