birding-aus

re: Black Robins (Gurneys Pitta)

Subject: re: Black Robins (Gurneys Pitta)
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 19 Dec 97 10:36:16 +1100
200 Black Robins what a staggering recovery.  My hats goes off to the
excellent work that the New Zealanders have done on this species.

Perhaps New Zealand could offer their services to Thailand? Reading the latest
OBC Journal I note that the Gurney's Pitta is down from 27 pairs in 1987 to
just 10 pairs in 1997.  A very sad situation indeed for one of the worlds best
looking birds.  It brings tears to your eyes when you see the forest being cut
from such a tiny area. Does anyone have any suggesting as to what we could do
to help?

>Black robins survive in two small populations on the island reserves of
>Mangere and Rangatira (South East) in the Chatham Islands group. The
>species now numbers in excess of 200 birds, each of them individually
>colour-marked and behaviourally conditioned for easy observation.

Regards
Tony