birding-aus

Re: Mullers Lagoon Bowen Update No 1

Subject: Re: Mullers Lagoon Bowen Update No 1
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 17:21:14 PST
Just a brief desciption of Mullers Lagoon for those who have not visited
this jewel in the crown in the centre of Bowen. Purchased only 10 years
ago the Bowen Shire Council has instigated a management plan for the
area. Our previous Parks and Gardens Director, Vince Winkel always had
in mind the importance of retaining as much of the natural vegetation as
possible plus the retention of the verge vegetation. Vince has left and
is now replaced by Greg Cain who shares many of the thoughts of Vince.
He is outraged at this latest
proposal, which actually goes against the management plan.
Early last year the Council funded the reuse of effluent at Mullers
Lagoon and modified a number of natural ponds with typhus etc. This
water does not normally run into the Lagoon as such but is used to
irrigate the grassy areas after working its way through  the ponds. The
waterbirds have had a successful year breeding and last Saturday I
observed a Chestnut Teal male breeding plumage, not the first sighting
for the Lagoon but a welcome vagrant, Radjah Shelducks have also been
making an appearance.
Since last week I have had an opportunity to talk to a number of
Councillors and feel that they will reconsider, actually some were even
unaware that such action was to take place without their knowledge as
all did not attend the last meeting.
A meeting is to be held on the 10 December 1997 where this matter will
be placed on the agenda. If anyone can assist with relevant info please
forward to the address provided previously prior to the meeting day.
Thanks for your assistance.
Jon Wren
Bowen

>From  Fri Nov 28 18:21:43 1997
>Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:21:36 +1000 (EST)
>From: Alexandra Appleman <>
>To: jon wren <>
>cc:
>Subject: Re: Mullers Lagoon Bowen needs your help
>
>Jon: isn't Muller's Lagoon one of the sites used by Bowen Shire Council
>tertiary filter treated effluent?  From memory there is plenty of
grassy
>areas already around the lagoon.  What was the rationale behind the
>clearing of the verge?
>
>Cheers
>
>Alex Appleman
>

>On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, jon wren wrote:
>
>> HELP REQUIRED. MULLERS LAGOON BOWEN
>>
>> Recently I have been advised that Cr Wayne Bidgood successfully
moved
>> at the Bowen Shire Council Meeting on the 26 November I997 a motion
>> clean up the grassy verge that encompasses Mullers Lagoon.
>> This will prove to  be disasterous for the waterbirds that currently
>> inhabitat this idyllic setting in the centre of Bowen. What is
required
>> is information as to the importance of retaining the grassy verge for
>> the wildlife.
>>  I for one do not want to see an aesthetically pleasing park that
>> provides no function for our flora and fauna.
>> The grassy verge also acts as a barrier for young children that may
>> wander close to the water, if it was not there I hate to think of the
>> possible consequences.
>> Please can I ask you to pass on information to the Bowen Shire
Council
>> so that they may reconsider this decision from an informed aspect.
Send