birding-aus

Re: Garden Birds

Subject: Re: Garden Birds
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:26:11 +0800

>Peter Woodall wrote :
>Thanks for your input.  I don't know much about the garden birds
>of WA.  I wonder what the situation is like in a big city like
>Perth?  Are any native seedeaters common in the suburbs there?

Perth gardens are not the best in Australia for birds, except for houses in
the Darling Scarp.  Although from the time I have spent in Melbourne and to
a lesser extent Sydney, I guess they are not too bad.

The honeyeaters are mostly Singing H/E, Brown H/E, Red Wattlebird plus in
certain areas New Holland H/E, White-cheeked H/E and Little Wattlebird.

Australian Ringnecks are very common along with the introduced Rainbow
Lorikeet and fairly often there are Short-billed Black-Cockatoos passing
overhead.  Some suburbs have the occasional Red-capped Parrot.  Galahs
occur in a few areas.

The feral seedeaters Laughing Turtle Dove, Spotted Turtle Dove and Rock
Dove are very common.  The Red-eared Firetail in the south west is
generally hard to find, except that they frequent quite a few gardens in
Albany.

Welcome Swallows are common overhead plus Tree Martins early in the year.
Rainbow Bee-eaters pass overhead in October and February.

Australian Magpie, Australian Raven and Magpie-lark are very common.  Grey
Butcherbirds can be common in some areas.  Willie Wagtails are fairly
common, but not so much in gardens.

Other fairly common garden birds are Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike and
Silvereye.

Southern Boobook occurs in a few areas.

Sacred Kingfisher turns up very occasionally.