birding-aus

taped bird-calls &c

Subject: taped bird-calls &c
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:48:50 +1100 (EST)
I was listening to a prgramme on Radio National a few months ago about
caving and there was one interesting thing mentioned: at Jenolan there is a
cavern which is all white, beautiful and pristine. However if large parties
of people went traipsing in there with muddy boots &c, of course it would
soon not be pristine. So cavers have a rule whereby you can visit this
cavern, but you must take off all your outer clothing and boots, to avoid
damage, and you must visit there only once in your caving career.

I think if birders had a similar practice with regard to taping birds out it
would be a good thing: that is, unless there was a good  reason for using
the tape (such as discovering extensions to range for nocturnal or elusive
species), that an individual birder should only a tape any particualr
species out once, to tick it, and then do so no more.

I'm not sure how you could apply this to eco-tours.

Dr John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden,
ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA

'There is nothing new about prophecies to the effect
that the end of the world is nigh unless we repent. What
is new is that such a prophecy is now true....'
                                                  Jared Diamond

http://spirit.net.au/~jleonard