birding-aus

re Crakes and rails and the use of Tapes

Subject: re Crakes and rails and the use of Tapes
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 18 Nov 97 12:25:51 +1100
Jon,
A good point and one that is brought up again and again.  As with all areas of
conflict there are both positive and negative sides.  I agree that the welfare
of the bird should always come first and when using tapes a common sense
approach is needed.   There are restrictions on sensitive species such as the
Noisy Scrub bird in WA and for good reason.  To totally condone the practice
does have a negative side though.  Some species (e.g. Lewin Rail, Marbled
Frogmouth) may go undetected and therefore suffer unnecessarily due to habitat
loss etc. Sometimes the additional information is a positive thing.

Generally I have found that Australian birders are decent people who know when
not to do something and care about the birds and the environment.  Without
wishing to appear cheeky I recall several incidents a few years when Golden
Bowerbirds were getting very distressed at their reflection in the mirror of a
car.  Is this so very different?  And just think how many cars there are on
the road.

Do I have it all wrong?

Regards
Tony

PS something to really worry about take a look at this
http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEAWIFS/IMAGES/SEAWIFS_GALLERY.html
particularly the Indonesian smoke haze photo