birding-aus

re: Rails and Crakes

Subject: re: Rails and Crakes
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:11:29 +1030
Re Lewins Rails. Well Tony, you are lucky people in NSW. In SA we have had
only one location (Tolderol ) in the last n years at which they have been
seen. It was about two years ago for a period of about a week only when the
water level was atypical. Five all at once were visible and I think every
birdo in SA got there for their once only sighting. We do ,however, have a
few swamphens, like how many hundreds would you like?, to trade.

Tony, the other one.

At 04:46 PM 13/11/97 +1100, you wrote:
>I would suggest that Lewin Rail is in fact a fairly common species throughout
>much of its range in Eastern Australia.  I would even go as far as to suggest
>they are more common than Swamphens.  Certainly in Sydney and Brisbane they
>can be found in many localities if you try hard enough.
>
>One of the tricks to locate them is to find significant stands of introduced
>'Lantana' and play a tape and not always at low altitude and not always in
>swampy areas.  I recall finding them at 5 locations between Mt Glorious and Mt
>Nebo in SE Queensland in 1988 and likewise the best place to see them around
>Sydney besides the usual swamps is around the Lantana slopes behind Wollongong
>or in Royal NP.  I heard one calling a few months ago at the Powerful Owl site
>near Epping for those that know the locality.  Strickland State Forest
>Ourimbah is another good spot.  ie. anywhere that has a rainforest with
>Lantana. Even the lantana around Taronga zoo is a good.
>
>Having said that though, all would have to agree that filling in the swamps
>and drains has a disastrous affect on the local populations of Crake Sp.
>

>Regards
>Tony Palliser
>http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser

Tony Russell