birding-aus

Powelltown forest

Subject: Powelltown forest
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:01:43 +1100
                        VISIT TO POWELLTOWN

        On Sunday I went to have a look at some of the forest that
        got worst hit in the Ash Wednesday bushfires. Some of the
        forest doesn't look too bad, but the middle-storey vegetation
        is missing in most places, so, for instance, there was little
        shade. I did however find a gully of Antarctic Beech that had
        survived well and was rewarded with a party of Rose Robins
        feeding young, and nearby a female Pink Robin sitting on a nest.
                Also an Olive Whistler came right up to me, too close for
        binoculars. I've noticed before they can be very tame.
                                Aidan Sudbury