birding-aus

Re: Nallan Station

Subject: Re: Nallan Station
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 10:56:55 +0800
Richard Jordan mentioned a Grey Honeyeater seen on Nallan Station near Cue
(650km NE of Perth).

A few days before Richard was there, I spent 4 days there showing Jim
Beruldsen from Victoria around. I can't recommend Nallan Station too
highly. We stayed in the cottage, and ate dinner in the homestead. The
meals were fantastic. Unfortunately the owner David died in August, but I
hope that his wife April and family continue. There are also shearers
quarters or you can camp (although beware of the double gees).

The birding highlights on the station are many. Western Bowerbird, Bourke's
Parrot, Chiming Wedgebill and Slaty-backed Thornbill are common. We also
found 3 White-browed Treecreepers. Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Orange
Chat, Rufous Fieldwren are easy to find near Cue. Other good species seen
were White-fronted Honeyeater, Redthroat, Little Button-quail, Grey-crowned
& White-browed Babblers (the first time I have seen both together in WA),
Crimson Chat, etc. Emu, Mulga Parrot, Hooded Robin, Red-capped Robin,
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill are all common. Rare sightings by other people in
the past in the area include Grey Honeyeater, Grey Falcon, Inland Dotterel,
Banded Whiteface.

The breeding was incredible. Near the homestead there were Yellow-throated
Miner (x2), Australian Magpie, Tawny Frogmouth, Willie Wagtail (in the
garage). Elsewhere on the station were White-browed Babbler (x2), Zebra
Finch, Brown Falcon. Elsewhere near Cue were Orange Chat, Willie Wagtail,
Zebra Finch, Fairy Martin.

On the way from Perth to Cue, there are good sites for Grey Honeyeater and
Gilbert's Whistler.

I hope to get around to updating my Web pages for the Cue area soon.

Frank