birding-aus

Re: American version of Wingspan

Subject: Re: American version of Wingspan
From: Barbara Passmore <>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:49:20 -0400
Hello, Birding-Aus:

As a member of American Birding Association (ABA), I would like to make a couple of comments.

Patrice Maher is correct in saying that ABA does not publish Bird Watcher's Digest nor any other magazine except the outstanding publication, Birding. The quality of that journal is directly attributable to Paul Lehman, who was for several years the Editor-in-chief. Paul Lehman has received no criticism from anyone except the money-maker leadership of ABA which has adopted a "dumbing down" approach to its contents with which Paul Lehman disagreed and got fired for refusing to acquiesce to the dilution process.

The contents of Birding up through the December issue will be due to the efforts of Paul Lehman. After that, who knows where the birds will go? There has been much criticism of the leadership for making this change, but unfortunately, the organization's leaders, without the support of many of its writers and its vocal membership, has chosen to take the same path that has brought National Audubon Society almost to its knees through its loss of focus. As some one so aptly said of Audubon, "While we were sleeping...," control of the organization has been lost to those to whom the quality of Birding is secondary to adding new members at any cost. Anyone interested in the protest to this action can find much information (including many protests on BirdChat) at:
http://www.princeton.edu/~llarson/up/ABAindex.html

We have a number of wonderful organizations in the United States whose focus is on conservation. Many of us support those organizations and desire to leave Birding to the birds!

Barbara Passmore * Valdosta GA USA * * ICQ # 2542385