birding-aus

Re: non-birding question

Subject: Re: non-birding question
From: Stewart Ford <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:37:02 +0800

Imagine you stood on the fourth floor of a building, looking at a tennis
ball that was level with the second. On it there is an arrow pointing
upwards. Now imaging going to the bottom floor of the building and again
looking at the tennis ball. The arrow would still be pointing upwards! This
simple model shows that there's no reason to think that the moon would be
"upside down" or that it would wax/wane in different directions depending
on which hemisphere it was in AS LONG AS the direction in which you were
facing, e.g. south, was the same in both hemispheres.

>re the moon in the s. hemisphere.
>
>I seem to remember that in the n. hemisphere the waxing moon was ) and the
>waning (. However here the direction which it points seems to be reversed,
>is this correct? Astronomers, and anyone else, please comment.

Stewart S Ford                   Email:
Biological Sciences              Phone: (618) 9273 3253
University of Western Australia  Fax: c/o (618) 9388 1224

http://www.student.uwa.edu.au/~ssford/
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/8692