birding-aus

Shining bronze cuckoos

Subject: Shining bronze cuckoos
From: Shane Raidal <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:35:18 +0800
On a short bush walk along the Bibulmum track between Brookton and Armadale
Highways (South of Perth) on the weekend I saw several (3-5) shining bronze
cuckoos making considerable noise amongst the tree-tops.   Is this unusual
for the species?  In my experience other cuckoos such as the Horsefield
tend to be more secretive and solitary.  We also saw a fledgling SBC along
the track.  It was calling to be fed but I didn't get to see what species
had this unlucky chore, although I suspected splendid fairywrens in the
area were responsible.   Could this be true ??

Other species included:

Striated pardalotte - by far the dominant bird in the area.
Carnabies and Red tailed black cockatoo in family groups with young.
Golden whistler
New Holland HE
Brown HE
Little wattlebird
Western warbler
Western thornbill
Yellow rumped thornbill
Weebill
Dusky woodswallow
Tree martin
28 parrot
Red-capped parrot
Splendid and red-winged fairywrens
Little eagle
Kookaburra
Raven

Also,   Grey kangaroo
        Black-gloved wallaby (not sure though)

Shane Raidal  BVSc PhD MACVSc Avian Health
Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology
Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
Murdoch University               phone:  +61  8  9360 2418
Perth,WA, 6150                           fax:  +61  8  9310 4144
Australia