birding-aus

Re: Cats and Birds and things

Subject: Re: Cats and Birds and things
From: (David Torr)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:11:17 +1100
     John seems to equate keeping captive birds with capturing them in the
     wild.

     There are of course occasions when it is acceptable (in my view) to
     capture wild birds for captive breeding - when they are threatened in
     the wild for example and the aim is to assist in breeding. In
     Australia therre have been programs for both Orange bellied Parrots
     and Helmeted Homeyeaters that I am aware of. But in general I (and I
     suspect most birders) would be strongly opposed to taking brds from
     the wild to be kept as pets.

     But we must also accept that there are large numbers of birds around
     that were bred in captivity. I happen to keep some myself - so my
     views are biased! But if keeping them is captivity is cruel (mine have
     a large aviary and probably less stress and better care than they
     would get in the wild, but many people do keep them in cruel
     conditions) what do we do - kill them all or release them???

     Similar thoughts of course apply to other pets - we are not going to
     remove dogs (I have 3 myself) , cats or others from society. We should
     strive to make sure they are well looked after and there is no
     cruelty, and also to try to reduce the number of unwanted strays.
     Maybe in time society will change so that keeping of pets is not
     accepted - but I suspect that as the amount of "wild"-life decreases
     people may feel more, not less need, for pets. After all, people tend
     to keep as pets animals they could not easily see in the wild (anyone
     got a pet sparrow?) so if the number of wild animals declines this
     feeling may grow stronger????

     Maybe this will fire up John's debate - he seemed disappointed no-one
     had replied!