birding-aus

RE: 1997 Birds Australia Twitchathon

To: Glen Ingram <>
Subject: RE: 1997 Birds Australia Twitchathon
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:51:52 +1000

At 12:11 22/09/97 +1000, you wrote:

>Dear Birding-aussers,
>I do not think TrevorS should be able to poke his nose up at us like
>this. Let's take him on! Ignore the 271 bit: I think he is just trying
>to scare us 8-)
>
>Glen Ingram

Glen

You've just got to admit it, Africa is best,
at least when it comes to birds (and occasionally rugby).

Just think of 26 larks, 18 cisticolas and 14 pipits to identify in
southern Africa alone!  Not to mention the easy ones like 8 bee-eaters,
5 rollers, and 20 swallows.

To compete, we need an appropriate handicap for the rockspiders.

How about compiling the bird lists in all 11 (?) official languages.
Robert's Birds of SA has indices to about 9 of the languages so that
might stump them ... haha.

[I hear they're even thinking about introducing
aerial ping-pong to RSA.... the Vics might have
even more to complain about then. ;-)))]

pete

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)