birding-aus

re: Shot Wandering Albatross

Subject: re: Shot Wandering Albatross
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 26 Sep 97 09:25:04 +1000
The story that I was told involved a bird that was picked up after it was seen
to die on the 13th September Sydney Pelagic.  The bird was then handed to
Taronga Zoo for an autopsy and the results revealed that the bird had
regrettably been shot.  The names of fishing boats in the area have been
reported to the Sydney Water Police and the story was provided to the Herald.
The actual shooting was not witnessed which will make prosecution difficult.

A very grim situation indeed.  I have been informed that weapons are licenced
and allowed on fishing trawlers to shoot sharks, possibly to prevent injury to
deck hands when bringing in fishing lines and nets. Clearly though it would
appear that the weapons are being used illegally and my opinion need to be
confiscated as a matter of priority.  I will be following the matter up with
the Water Police.

Regards
Tony Palliser
Phone.....+61 2 9900 1678 or Home +61 2 9427 7563
Fax.......+61 2 9900 1669
http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser