birding-aus

Re: Attitudes to introduced species

Subject: Re: Attitudes to introduced species
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:48:42 +1000
I'd agree with the comments of Hugo and Laurie on the need to record
these introduced species (they're not feral in my use of the term as
a domestic species gone wild) because they have population changes
just as interesting and important as those of the native species
(Interesting to me as a biologist and important
because of the possible interation with the native species).

In Brisbane it is interesting that two introduced seed-eaters, the
European Goldfinch and the Nutmeg mannikin have not done at all
well, despite dire predictions in the 1950's.  On the other hand
we've seen recent increases in the Common Myna.

Whether you like a species or not it is important to monitor all
their populations. My Garden Bird Survey in 1979-80 established
a baseline and I hope to repeat it in 1999-2000 to see what changes
have occurred in the 20 years.
{Is it really 20 years?? I still feel like a new chum)

Peter

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)