birding-aus

walk to work totals

Subject: walk to work totals
From: (hillier lab)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:16:42 +0000
Hi everyone,
        while not up to the 20 bird benchmark set previously I had a good day
walking to work today.  I walk or ride to walk through 3 km of the most inner
city Melbourne you can get starting in Flemington and finishing at the
University of Melbourne in Parkville.  The only OK area is Royal Park but
even here I often get more ferals (if only we could shoot them all!) than
natives.  Today however I got 14 natives including a Common Bronzewing (first
sighting by me in Royal Park) and a Scaly-breasted Lorikeet (first vic
sighting for me).  The Scaly-breasted was with a medium sized flock of
Rainbow Lorikeets.  The Rainbow Lorikeets were really screeching madly this
morning. Not really a twitchers heaven but a nice diversion on the way to
work.

 The list was (in no particular order)

White-plumed Honeyeater
Red Wattlebird