birding-aus

Re: PTOOEEY - Virus Alert ao4free.com

Subject: Re: PTOOEEY - Virus Alert ao4free.com
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:35:07 +1000
Paul and all

Your government IT agency Internet Mail supervisor is misinformed or not
up to date.  What happened was that there was a hoax virus releaed
earlier this year called 'aol4free'.  The someone wrote a particularly
virulent virus (!) (actually a trojan horse) with the same name.  It is
not found (yet) in Ausralia, so far as I know, but we should not treat
this one as a hoax any more.  Definitely do not execute any file called
'aol4free.com'.  See, for example:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/data/aol4freeth.html

David

--