birding-aus

Birds from trains (was re: Birds I saw coming to work)

To: (Birding Aus)
Subject: Birds from trains (was re: Birds I saw coming to work)
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:43:39 +1000 (EST)
> This is certainly cheating, as I don't cycle or walk to work (though I
> do walk to the train station).  Most weekdays I travel from Geelong to
> Melbourne and back by country train.  It's about 75km through flat open
> farmland on basalt plains, with a few small wetlands, in southern
> Victoria, and the big wide windows on the train are great for bird
> observing as we belt along at about 120 km/h.
> [snip]

I've caught the train several times from Canberra to Sydney, and have seen
some excellent birds on the morning (6:50am departure) trips.  It takes a
little over four hours, but avoiding Sydney traffic and being able to read
or nap is certainly worth the extra time compared to driving.

My most recent trip on Saturday 23 August 1997 recorded the following birds:
   Common Starling                  Eurasian Coot
   Australian Magpie                Great Cormorant
   Common Myna                      White-winged Chough
   Pied Currawong                   Nankeen Kestrel
   Galah                            Welcome Swallow
   Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo     Australian White Ibis
   Crimson Rosella                  Australian Wood Duck
   Red-rumped Parrot                Australian Pelican
   Pacific Black Duck               Eastern Rosella
   Australian Grebe                 Little Pied Cormorant
   Brown Goshawk                    Laughing Kookaburra
   Crested Pigeon                   Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
   House Sparrow                    Superb Fairy-wren
   Rock Dove                        Spotted Turtle-Dove
   Straw-necked Ibis                Collared Sparrowhawk
   Australian Raven                 Magpielark
   Sulphur-crested Cockatoo         Wedge-tailed Eagle
   Black-shouldered Kite            Common Blackbird
   Noisy Miner                      Willy Wagtail
   (Unidentified small birds, probably inc. Red-browed Finch and
    Yellow-rumped Thornbills)

Other goodies that I've seen on this route previously are Brown Quail,
Red-whiskered Bulbul, Brown Falcon and Bar-shouldered Dove (which to date
is my only sighting.)  In mid-winter, the early morning trips are also quite
beautiful with frost-covered vegetation beside the tracks.

   Paul Taylor