birding-aus

Nankeen Night Herons in Fremantle

Subject: Nankeen Night Herons in Fremantle
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 19:15:43
Those foreign birdos doing a quick swing through Perth and wishing to see
Nankeen Night Herons could do worse than stay in the Esplanade Hotel in
Fremantle, about a half-hour to the south, and take in the Night Herons at
dusk in the Moreton Bay Fig tree opposite the hotel.  The tree is in a very
busy part of Fremantle, on the corner of Marine Terrace and Collie Street.

Tonight I saw about 10 after being alerted by their calls.  They probably
roost in the fig tree during the day.  Can I ask the experts whether Night
Herons eat the figs at night, like the flying foxes in the eastern states?

These birds may give some competition to the Barn Owl recently reported
from South Terrace in the centre of suburban Fremantle.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia