birding-aus

Re: GPS Hand Helds

Subject: Re: GPS Hand Helds
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 14:24:18 +1000
Frank

I use a Garmin 120 on my boat for raptor surveys. It seems to work
well and the location of each sighting is recorded as a waypoint.
I'm currently getting Fagawi software which will allow these waypoints
to be plotted directly onto a map.

If you want more info on GPS systems, try the newsgroup:

sci.geo.satellite-nav

they have a healthy discussion going about the pros & cons of many
different brands and models & also regularly post a FAQ which gives
links to many useful sites.

Hope this is of use

peter
At 10:38 5/09/97 +0800, you wrote:

>Has anyone got any more information since Laurie Conole's posting on GPS
>units back in April?
>
>In particular, I am considering the EAGLE "Explorer".  I searched the web
>and found some information at http://www.gps4fun.com/main_eag.html#Explorer
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)