birding-aus

Re: Swallows nest

To: Shane Raidal <>
Subject: Re: Swallows nest
From: Ian Temby <>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:30:10 -0712 (EDT)
On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:34:27 +0900 Shane Raidal
<> wrote:
>Update on swallows nest :
>
>It seems that one of our volunteer protectors of the nests has unwittingly
>scared the birds off from one nest site.   The site which was next to a
>very busy doorway had been used annually at least for the past three years.
> This year, cleaners destroyed two nesting attempts but the birds were
>working on a third.  One of our staff members placed an A4 sheet of white
>paper beneath the nest with "DO NOT DESTROY THE SWALLOWS NEST ...."
in
>large letters.   The pair didn't like this and have moved on to another
>more secure place.
>
>This proves conclusively that swallows cannot read english.
Swallows also do not like tennis!  If a tennis ball is placed in a completed
nest,
this prevents the birds from nesting there, but also occupies that site, so the
problem, if it is seen as one, will not recur the next season, and the next.

A preferable strategy I have seen used is to place a tray below the nest to
catch
droppings, thus reducing the mess around the site.  Of course, some are
released in flight, so the tray is not a complete solution.

Cheers

Ian
=======================================
Ian Temby
Wildlife Damage Control Officer
Secretary, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE   VIC   3002
AUSTRALIA

Phone   613 9412 4429