birding-aus

Re: The origin of "jizz"

To: "Eric Dempsey" <>
Subject: Re: The origin of "jizz"
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:39:35 +1000
Many thanks Eric. It is still all so puzzling. Why does the track lead to
Ireland? As well, GISS is WW2. As the OED shows, the word "jizz" was in use
some time earlier.

Also, I am unsure if jizz does involve using size so definitely. Watching
birders in action (or even experienced taxonomists sorting frogs, slaters,
crabs or amphipods), they, nearly instantly, seem to be doing something
even more basic, like recognizing essence maybe. Anyhow, the behaviour is
known and analyzed in psychology and anthropology under Gestalt.

Also, jizz is tackled in that brilliant thesis: "Implicit technique in
taxonomy: The scincid lizards of Cape York Peninsula." The person's name
escapes me at the moment.

Read you next Friday.

Best wishes
Glen Ingram

"How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a cab?"
> From: Eric Dempsey <>
> To: ; Glen Ingram <>
> Subject: Re: The origin of "jizz"
> Date: Monday, 18 August 1997 20:17
>
> Hi all
> As I have been told that I may be the only Irish subscriber to Birding
Aus,