birding-aus

Re: Tasmanian migrants and brolgas

To: "John Gibson" <>
Subject: Re: Tasmanian migrants and brolgas
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:11:59 +1000
Dear John,
J. Diamond did a big thing on "water-crossers" back in the 70s, I think.
Water included rivers to straits. I do not know if it is a "scholarly
analysis". That sort of stuff was banned then.

I cannot remember where he published it. Someone will tell us, though.

Sorry, to waffle. I am a little disoriented. I was only informed the other
day that my paternal Great Great Grandmother and father were Tasmanians.
This kind
of shock takes a bit getting over.

Glen Ingram
Brisbane, Australia.

"Maturation can lead to blindness."

---------
> From: John Gibson <>
> Subject: Tasmanian migrants and brolgas
> Date: Thursday, 21 August 1997 15:35

Spring must be here even in Hobart - I heard my first black faced cuckoo
shrike for many months at lunch time. This led me to ponder the question of
why some birds (including small ones like silvereyes) happily migrate
across Bass Strait, whereas other eminently migratory species, eg olive
backed orioles, stop at Wilson's Prom. Presumably many migratory species
reached 'Tasmania' when a land bridge still existed to the mainland, and
the ones that still reach here have retained some memory/instinct of
southern climes. The species that don't cross Bass Strait might have
expanded their range to the south as temperatures warmed and after the land
bridge disappeared, and thus now think there is nothing beyond the Prom
(like many mainlanders!)

Does anyone have any deeper thoughts on the subject, or is there perhaps
some scholarly analysis of which species go where?

<snip>