birding-aus

Star finch sightings in Queensland

Subject: Star finch sightings in Queensland
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:51:55 +1000 (EST)
Hello everyone; I've had a request from TOWNBOC asking for help in
locating recent (or historical) sightings of the Star finch in Queensland,
particularly towards the east coast.

I have only 2 sightings of the star finch among my records - at Fogg Dam
in NT in 1994 and near Escott Station out of Burketown in the Gulf (Qld)
in 1996.

There is said to be an isolated popoulation on the east coast and this is
the one we are trying to locate.  We are also trying to verify earlier
sightings (date, location, observer) in case some were of these were of a
juvenile crimson finch, mistakenfor the star finch.

The only ones i have seen around Townsville are in a pet shop; so another
possibility is that some of the sightings might be of escapees.

Thanks for your help.