birding-aus

Swift Parrots at Seven Hills 13/8/97

To: "" <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Seven Hills 13/8/97
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 97 08:10:00 PDT
Hi Birders

Just before I had to leave home for work this morning at about 6:30 am I
heard Swift Parrots calling around my home in Seven Hills (about 40 km
west of Sydney). Unfortunately, I could not track them down otherwise I
would be late for work. Actually I'm sure that they were calling around
the park opposite my place one weekday morning, so they may have been
present around my area for about a month. I hope they will be around my
place in the comming weekend when I can track them down.

The call which I am quite familiar is a a sharp "pink, pink, pink..." ,
with a bit of warbling at times. I have seen about 250 plus birds back in
1995 in the Capertee Valley, north of Lithgow.Similar number of birds
have also been seen in the valley this year.

The last time I saw Swift Parrots in my area was about 6 years ago but
have seen them at nearby Greystanes last years were about a dozen birds
were present for a few weeks.

Has anybody seen Swift Parrots in other locations in Sydney this year?

As there has been alot of birds this year in NSW, have there been fewer
Swift Parrots in Victoria this year?

Edwin Vella